After the Fire: Action Items
1. Notify your Employer/Social Security of new (Pay)check mailing address
2. Keep Mortgage Payment CURRENT!
3. Keep Homeowners Insurance PAID!
4. DO NOT CANCEL Water or Electrical Services – EVEN IF SHUT OFF
Cancel Unneeded Services:
- US MAIL: HOLD or change of address
- Cable/Satellite TV
- Anything auto-pay on your credit card or checking account that is not needed
- Any services not needed while house empty
- Alarm service may be worth keeping if power present and service can be re-established while house empty
- Driver’s License 1-800-777-0133
- Passports 1-800-487-2778
- Social Security cards 1-800-772-1213
- Citizenship papers 1-800-375-5283
- Credit cards
- Bankbooks (checking, savings)
- Insurance policies
- Medical records
- Birth, death, military discharge and marriage certificates
- Hospital, Medicare or Medicaid cards
- Stocks and bonds
- Income tax records
- Mortgage documents
- Titles to deeds
Keep all Receipts
Submit COPIES of daily living expenses and replacement items to your insurance. KEEP ORIGINALS.
“CAMSCANNER” is a free app that will let you use your smart phone camera to “scan” and then email receipts and signed documents. This is a powerful tool of transmitting and archiving paperwork. Email documents to yourself and put in a specific folder later.
Reject Spoof Phone Calls
Do not give out information to anyone you do not know to be legitimate.
“I am working with your insurance adjuster.” Is not a valid reason to release info to a stranger.